We are excited to have Gerry back for an exciting cooking session on November 27th! Gerry will be demonstrating recipes for soups, stews and other heart-warming foods, with a feature focus on the Autumn Harvest: Root Vegetables, Squashes and some summer-canned produce.
Join us for this interactive webinar session as we watch healthy food items transform into delicious meals to share with your family, right before your eyes! Take the opportunitiy to ask Gerry questions and interact with him and others in the chat to discuss winter treats!
Everyone welcome to participate:
Meet Our Presenters:
Gerry Kasten of Vancouver Coastal Health has worked with food all of his life. He was born into a farming family and still helps his brother bring in the harvest each year. He has received an Honours Diploma in Commercial Cooking, and Bachelors & Masters degrees in Nutrition. He has worked in Public Health in British Columbia for the past twenty-six (26) years. He is now an “Adjunct Professor” in UBC’s Dietetics Program.
His heart’s desire is to live in a world where people celebrate food, sharing it with those they love, taking its pleasure without restraint because its flavour saturates their most sensuous palates.
Below are more cookbooks and resources that Gerry recommends for healthy eating:
- A Feast for All Seasons – Andrew George Jr. and Robert Gairns
- Where People Feast: An Indigenous People’s Cookbook – Dolly and Annie Watts
- Nourishing the Community – Recipes and Stories – Keisha Amanda Charnley
- Elders of All Nations– Vancouver Native Health Society – Connie Mitchell and Rebecca Dunham
- Our Food Our Stories – Edited by Annie Jack for Aboriginal Head Start in Urban and Northern Communities
- Growing Up Healthy –A resource booklet about healthy children for First Nations and Métis parents in BC
- Dietitians of Canada – Simply Great Food – Patricia Chuey, Eileen Campbell, Mary Sue Waisman
- Better Together BC: http://bettertogetherbc.ca/
- HealthLink BC Healthy Eating: http://www.healthlinkbc.ca/healthyeating/
- Traditional Food Fact Sheets: http://fnha.ca/Documents/Traditional_Food_Fact_Sheets.pdf
- First Nations Health Authority: Health Through Wellness Healthy Food Guidelines
- First Nations Food, Nutrition & Environment Study: http://www.fnfnes.ca/
- First Nations Health Authority healthy eating website: Eating Healthy